Purchasing a new furnace is not an easy task and there are several factors that you need to consider before purchasing a furnace in Pittsburgh. Knowing what to look for will help you buy the right device and the following guide will come in handy while you make your decision:
Size and Installation
The size of your furnace depends on the size of your home and it is very important that you purchase the correct size to ensure your furnace operates at optimal efficiency and comfort. Bigger may seem better, but that’s not the case with furnaces. A larger unit will not be more reliable if its size is out of proportion to the size of your home.
In addition to the right size, do not forget to consider the installation of the furnace, because this step must be carried out correctly by professionals; otherwise there will be energy efficiency problems. Ducting is another important part of the furnace installation and must be implemented correctly to avoid problems with noise levels and comfort.
Annual fuel usage efficiency is a furnace rating that evaluates a furnace’s annual gas consumption. The higher the number, the less gas is wasted during the heating process.
Blower Motor Technology
This furnace component moves the air in your home and uses a significant amount of electricity. For this reason, you need to carefully consider your options. Options include a standard fan motor, constant torque motor, or variable speed motor.
Standard blower motors are the least expensive and also the least energy efficient, while variable speed motors are the most energy efficient furnaces and can operate at different speeds.
Sound Reduction Technology
Noise management is important, and the right technology won’t reveal that your furnace is in use. Sealed and insulated cabinets, variable speed fan technology, and quiet gas burners are newer features you can consider.
With this component, you no longer have to puzzle over energy efficiency, and some models can even learn from your temperature preferences to create a power-saving plan accordingly.
Smart thermostats know when you are home or away and adjust your heating and cooling accordingly. You can also monitor and adjust your settings from almost anywhere on your phone.
The furnace you purchase and its installation should come with a warranty, and all reputable HVAC companies stand by their products and services. Be sure to research the warranty coverage you choose to avoid problems down the road.
It’s worth paying for professional furnace installation and a high-efficiency furnace model. Consider your budget to determine what you can afford. Although the initial cost may seem high, your new furnace will pay for itself through the monthly energy savings.
FAQs about things to know before buying a furnace in Pittsburgh
Q: What are the most common types of furnaces used in Pittsburgh?
Gas furnaces are the most common type of furnace used in Pittsburgh, followed by electric furnaces. This is because natural gas is readily available in the area, and it is a relatively inexpensive fuel source. Propane furnaces are also a popular option in Pittsburgh, especially for homes that do not have access to natural gas.
Q: What factors should I consider when choosing a furnace for my home in Pittsburgh?
Here are some of the factors you should consider when choosing a furnace for your home in Pittsburgh:
- The size of your home: The size of your furnace will depend on the square footage of your home. A furnace that is too small will not be able to heat your home effectively, while a furnace that is too large will be inefficient.
- The climate in Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh has a humid continental climate, with cold winters and warm summers. You will need a furnace that can produce a lot of heat to keep your home comfortable during the winter months.
- Your budget: Furnaces can range in price depending on the model and needs of you home. It is important to set a budget before you start shopping for a furnace.
- The energy efficiency of the furnace: The energy efficiency of a furnace is measured by its Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating. The higher the AFUE rating, the more efficient the furnace is.
- The noise level of the furnace: Some furnaces can be quite noisy, so it is important to choose a furnace that is quiet enough for your home.
- The warranty on the furnace: The warranty on a furnace will cover the cost of parts and labor if the furnace breaks down. It is important to choose a furnace with a long warranty.
Q: How can I get quotes from furnace installers in Pittsburgh?
The best way to get quotes from furnace installers in Pittsburgh is to get online quotes from multiple companies. You can also ask your friends and family for recommendations.
Q: What should I ask a furnace installer before hiring them?
Here are some questions you should ask a furnace installer before hiring them:
- Are you licensed and insured?
- How long have you been in business?
- What experience do you have installing furnaces in Pittsburgh?
- What brands of furnaces do you install?
- What is your hourly rate?
- What is your warranty policy?
- Can you provide references?
Q: What can I do to save money on my furnace purchase and installation?
Here are some tips for saving money on your furnace purchase and installation:
- Get quotes from multiple companies.
- Consider buying a used furnace.
- Install the furnace yourself if you are handy.
- Take advantage of rebates and incentives.
Furnace Installation in Pittsburgh
If you need furnace installation in Pittsburgh, contact Tudi Mechanical Systems. We’re ready to help! We specialize in furnace repair and serve customers in the Pittsburgh, PA and Tampa, FL areas.
Our furnace repair specialists are skilled and highly trained. You can contact us at any time to find out more about our services. Call 412-771-4100 for more information about furnace repair, maintenance and installation!